Amanda Hislop – Abstract Land and Sea- print: compose: stitch
Two Day Course
Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th September
Take an abstract view of land and sea, a closer look at colour combinations and textures; explore through mark making and painterly print to create surfaces to fragment and place in simple collage arrangements to work with hand stitch.
During the course explore a restrained colour palette with line and texture working with a series of print blocks and mark making to develop personal language creating a selection of surfaces to fragment, overlay and develop. Explore surfaces created; abstract simplify fragment, rearrange. Think abstraction, work intuitively through a random system of placement creating highly individual arrangements of small abstract collages to work with simple hand stitch.
Includes homemade lunch and refreshments
About the Artist
“I combine drawn and painted marks with the tactile qualities of thread, paper and fabric. The essence of the landscape and natural forms inspire my work. I use drawing to record fleeting fragments observed and absorbed; I look at the familiar, see the extraordinary and respond to subtle changes in view in the rhythmic motion of walking. The evocative moods of seasonal change and atmospheric qualities of light and changing weather experienced when walking are a constant source of inspiration.
Scale of work ranges from individual hangings, wall mounted panels and framed textile artworks”.
What you will need to bring
• Pritt stick type glue
• Needles for hand sewing
• Basic sewing kit, pins, scissors etc.
• A piece of white cotton or linen to use as a backing for collage (approximately ½ a metre to allow for flexibility in shape and size of work). Old pillow cases and sheeting are a good source of soft fabric to stitch into.
• A select choice of threads in sea and shoreline colours and neutrals; less is more!
• A no 12 round brush and 2.5cm bristle brush, (some will be available to use).
• Apron/overall, please wear suitable clothing.