Amanda Hislop – Surfaces for Stitch, seascapes as a theme***Only 2 Places Remaining***
2 Day Course Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th October 2020
Take inspiration from colours and textures of the sea and shore to develop surfaces for mixed media and stitch. Work with a free and painterly approach to create unique sample pieces using a combination of collage with paint, drawing and free machine work, with the potential to explore elements of hand stitch.
Explore collage techniques to make layered paper and cloth surfaces inspired by personal observations of textures found on the shore. Work with stitch techniques to incorporate line and texture on layered cloth surfaces. Develop stitch drawing skills through free machine stitch emphasising line and texture found along the shoreline. Enjoy a free approach to stitch adding definition to surfaces, experimenting with colour and weight of threads to create textural interest within the samples.
- Analysis and interpretation of line, texture and colour in paint and stitch
- Collage and layering techniques
- Use of acrylic colour
- Colour mixing using a limited palette
Includes homemade lunch and refreshments both days
an example of Amanda Hislop’s work
About the Artist
“I combine drawn and painted marks with the tactile qualities of thread, paper and fabric. The essence of the landscape and natural forms inspire my work. I use drawing to record fleeting fragments observed and absorbed; I look at the familiar, see the extraordinary and respond to subtle changes in view in the rhythmic motion of walking. The evocative moods of seasonal change and atmospheric qualities of light and changing weather experienced when walking are a constant source of inspiration.
Scale of work ranges from individual hangings, wall mounted panels and framed textile artworks”.
What you will need to bring
- Inspirational images of sea and shore, photographs or sketchbook material; resources will be available.
- A small selection of brushes for use with acrylic colour; include a no.12 round and a 1/2 inch bristle type.
- Apron or overall, please wear suitable clothing.
- Sewing machine with drop feed and darning foot/embroidery foot
- A range of threads for use in machine and or hand work; a selection of colours and weights would be useful, including heavier threads which can be wound on the bobbin.
- Basic sewing kit, scissors pins needles etc.
- Sketchbook/ notebook pencil/pen for notes and ideas.