Bryony Rose Jennings – Textile Sculpture, Squirrel ‘summer school’***Only 1 Place Remaining***
Two day course Thursday 5th and Friday 6th August
9.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m.
All Materials Included
On this 2-day course we will each produce our own unique textile squirrel sculpture; creating form and exploring construction with wire, fabric, and stuffing.
In a unique approach to sculpting we will wrap, layer and hand stitch fabric using wire armature where necessary to realise our ideas. As the squirrels take shape, a personality begins to emerge. We will experiment with different ways of using fabrics; to add colour and texture, build character and suggest expression using basic sewing and wire work techniques.
Includes homemade lunch, cream tea or cake and refreshments both days
About the tutor
Bryony Rose Jennings is a textile sculptor and tutor. She graduated from The School of Jewellery in Birmingham in 2004, since then she has worked in the Jewellery industry, run her own gallery, and started a family. 14 years ago she created a life-size patchwork Donkey, she has been hooked on creating textile sculptures ever since.
Bryony currently works from her home studio in Portsmouth, juggling motherhood creature creation. She exhibits and teaches throughout the UK and internationally.
She is passionate about sharing her techniques and approach through her workshops, helping participants to develop and realise their own creative ideas.
Bryony describes her process, as ‘building with fabric and sculpting with stitch’, she does not use a pattern, all of her creatures are individually realised, resulting in each sculpture being totally unique.
What you will need to bring
All materials are included Bryony provides lots of materials and ephemera, and everything you need to complete a sculpture will be available.
You do not have to bring anything with you however if you would like to use some of your own fabrics and bits and bobs in addition, the following list is a guide to what may come in useful.
• A selection of fabrics that you would like to use to cover your sculpture. These can be small scraps or larger pieces. A mixture of patterned fabrics, plain fabrics and a variety of textures will be helpful.
• Any found objects or ephemera that you could use for the features of your animal. Marbles, Buttons, Beads, Old Jewellery and watch pieces can work well for eyes, beaks and claws.
• Consider how you would like to present your sculpture, it can be freestanding, or you could display it mounted on a plaque or using some form of stand – twigs and branches, domestic objects, blocks of wood. Please bring anything you might like to use as a method of displaying your sculpture.
• Polyester Stuffing. – I use very cheap pillows for stuffing, toy stuffing or wadding can also be used. 1 pillows worth will be plenty.
• A selection of sewing needles, embroidery needles that are sharp, sturdy and long will be most useful. Needles will be provided, but it’s nice to have your own to choose from.
Bookings are closed for this course / workshop.